4 people contaminated. 2 are dead, including a child. All in different states, but linked to a product you can buy at Walmart: Essential oil for aromatherapy, from India.
Investigators found a rare and deadly bacteria called Burkholderia pseudomallei, which causes melioidosis, in a bottle of Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray. It’s available in 6 scents. The bacteria was found in the Lavender and Chamomile scent, but investigation is on going to find out if other scents can also be contaminated.
Walmart issued a recall of 3900 units of the product. The aromatherapy room spray was sold at about 55 Walmart stores nationwide and online at walmart.com from February 2021 through October 2021 for about $4.